PETALUMA ARTS ASSOCIATION BYLAWS (Amended November 9, 2019)
ARTICLE 1 (Name)
The association shall be known as the “Petaluma Arts Association”, or PAA.
ARTICLE 2 (Purposes)
● Section 1 PAA will provide activities to promote the appreciation of visual art in Petaluma.
● Section 2 PAA will provide scholarships or awards, if funds are available, to students engaged in the field of visual arts.
● Section 3 PAA will provide a supportive fellowship that motivates and encourages its members to develop and expand their skills and appreciation in the field of visual arts.
ARTICLE 3 (Membership)
Membership in PAA is available to anyone who is interested in the purposes as stated in Article 2 of the Bylaws. All members shall have voting privileges. Membership dues are required to be paid by January 31st and run through the end of December of that year.
● Section 1 Membership is an individual person participating in PAA. Dues $45
● Section 2 Student Membership is for a person attending high school or college. Dues $20
● Section 3 Honorary Membership is for a charter member, or in recognition of special service. No Dues
● Section 4 Organization Membership pays for multiple members from the organization to participate. Dues $60
● Section 5 Sponsoring Membership is for a person or business who wants to support the arts in the community. Included here will be mentioned on our Web Site. Dues Open
ARTICLE 4 (Officers)
● Section 1 The elected officers of the PAA shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
● Section 2 More than one member can be elected and serve as co-officer. (i.e.: Co-President)
● Section 3: The term of office is two years. A member may serve two (2) consecutive terms in the same office. The office of President and Secretary will be elected on even-numbered years. The office of Vice President and Treasurer will be elected on odd-numbered years.
● Section 4 If the office of President is vacated, the Vice President will complete the term. The board shall reconvene to fill vacancies of any other elected officer.
● Section 5 A temporary secretary can be appointed by any officer or chairperson to serve at any special or regular meeting on a temporary basis.
ARTICLE 5 (Elections)
In September the PAA Board shall request input from the members for a slate of candidates to be presented for office. The slate will be posted in October. Elections shall be held in November and the new officers will then be installed and take office in January.
ARTICLE 6 (Executive Committee)
The executive board shall consist of the officers and chairpersons of standing committees and may take action on routine and emergency matters.
ARTICLE 7 (Meetings)
● Section 1 Quarterly meetings shall be held in January, April, July and November, dates to be announced and members will be notified by email.
● Section 2 Action requiring a vote shall be approved by a majority of members present at meetings unless otherwise stated in the PAA Bylaws.
● Section 3 A PAA Holiday Party will be in December, date to be determined.
● Section 4 Quarterly meetings will include featured artist presentations. January meeting excepted.
ARTICLE 8 (Committees)
Committee Chairpersons shall be appointed by the President. The President or Vice-President shall be ex-officio members of all committees.
ARTICLE 9 (Budget and Assessments)
● Section 1 The PAA Board will prepare and present an annual budget to the membership at the January Business Meeting. Approval is by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present at that meeting.
● Section 2 Our goal is to keep a balance of $5000.00 in the PAA bank account to cover unusual expenses that PAA may incur. Annual Budgeted expenses must be covered by the total of annual membership dues. If there is a discrepancy the board will revise the budget to assure that our income matches expenses. The board will submit an amended budget for approval by the membership.
ARTICLE 10 (Dues)
Dues will be proposed by the executive board and will require a simple majority vote of members present at any regular quarterly meeting. Dues are from January through December.
ARTICLE 11 (Board of Directors)
● Section 1 The Board of Directors shall consist of the elected officers of PAA and Chairpersons of Standing Committees.
● Section 2 Authority shall be vested in the Board of Directors to make decisions and to present recommendations to the membership. Emergency action may be taken upon notification of all Board members and with their majority approval.
● Section 3 The board shall meet monthly to address the business of PAA. All members are welcome to observe board meetings. If a member has an issue to address with the board they should submit it in writing and it will be added to the agenda of the next board meeting.
ARTICLE 12 (Bylaws)
The Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote at any quarterly meeting at which members are present. Members will be notified a month prior to the meeting of any proposed bylaw amendments.